Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Dentist

The other day I had a dentist appointment.

It was my first visit to that dentist as we have started going to a new dentist after our old one kicked my husband out for missing 5 appointments in 5 years. His last missed appointment was while we were in Morgantown with Corbin.

Needless to say we were upset. But I digress...

It's a very, very nice office. The nicest office I've seen yet. They offer coffee, which no doubt, brings back business for teeth cleanings! Smart!
Anyway, I was led back into the little room and had x-rays taken, my teeth cleaned, polished, buffed, and poked at. After all that business was done and I was waiting on the dentist to come look at me, the assistant asked
"So you have two boys?"
-pause-
"Yup" As I notice the picture frame full of photos of her two boys. Oh boy. Please don't ask, please don't ask.

"How old are they?"
-longer pause- Should I tell her? What do I say? Oh dear...
"Um, Colt will be two in February. And...um, Corbin...Corbin passed away in May." As I break down into tears.

"Oh dear, I'm so sorry"
-more tears-

She brings me tissues and we are interrupted by the dentist arriving. We chat about teeth and mouth guards, then he leaves.
The assistant asks me more about Corbin. I tell her I don't mind talking about it but I'm sure to cry. She surprises me by sounding truly interested and asks good questions; keeping the conversation going. We chat about pulse ox and how we agree every newborn should be tested. I explain to her what Williams Syndrome is and she again, seems very interested. She admits she has never heard of it and nods her head as I explain the traits and medical problems associated with the syndrome. She smiles as I explain the quirks also associated with Williams, like their good vocab, their issues with math, and that most (if not all) that have an affinity for music.
I quite enjoy our conversation and am so pleased that she was interested. I haven't talked to someone about Corbin that seemed honestly interested in the medical side of it all. Mostly I get an "I'm so sorry, what happened" but no more.

So I may have made her feel bad by crying, but one more person knows Corbin's story. And that is the best part.